A tipi is a conical shaped housing type or dwelling which was designed and created by tribes who lived in the Great Plains in the United States. This type of a dwelling was very popular and convenient as it offered both flexibility and transportability in any type of climate or weather conditions. If the conditions were hot, a tipi dweller was required only to open up the smoke flaps and lift up the part of the wrap to catch any moving air.
On the other hand, in cold weather conditions, these dwellings could be heated by wood fires and would be made warmer with additional liners. If you are interested in knowing more about tipis, you can go through the following given
- Tipis still continue to be an important part of the culture in many Native American tribes. These dwellings are known for their aesthetic and functional qualities around the world and are still used in many ways-full time residencies, weekend getaways and backyard play caves.
- The bones included in a tipi are made using straight wooden poles which are tied together in a conical shape with a spread out base. A wrap of the tipi on the other hand is made using canvas material, a birch bark and a hide. This wrap is lifted along with the last pole and laced together around front.
- Smaller tipis take less time to erect while a 24 foot tipi may take longer time and more effort.
- One of the advantages of having tipis is the cost. A tipi costs much less than a yurt and is also easier to make.
- Modern day tipis or contemporary tipis are available for sale in many markets acrossNorth America as there are many numbers of companies selling them.
- One of the reasons why tipis are low in terms of cost than yurts is because of weather tightness. Tipis have simpler structures and simpler doors than yurts. The tipi doors perform better during bad weather and this is one of their strengths. The door can withstand any kind of weather conditions and also offer heat retention.
- There are many places in America where Tipis can be rented for a few nights. Rather than buying one, it is better to rent if you are not going to use it for a prolonged period of time. Renting is also cheaper than buying one.